The government has been launching a range of schemes to boost the education of girls in India. It is also taking various measures to promote positivity regarding the birth of a girl child in Indian families – something that was lacking earlier.
One such scheme designed to benefit girl students is the Child CBSE Udaan Scheme. Via this scheme, the government is endeavouring to boost the enrolment of girls in engineering colleges in the country. In this article, we will offer a detailed guide about the Child CBSE Udaan Scheme for girl students in India.
The CBSE Udaan Scheme is created by a partnership between the Central Board of Central Education (CBSE) and the Ministry of Human Resource and Development (MHRD) of the Government of India. It is designed to offer the necessary study resources to help qualifying female students in Class 11 prepare for the Engineering Entrance Tests.
Core Objectives of the CBSE Udaan Scheme
- Increase the enrolment of girls in engineering and technical institutions
- Create a support ecosystem for qualifying young girls to better prepare for the entrance exams to various engineering colleges in India
- Facilitate the narrowing of the understanding gap between higher secondary education and engineering/technical education.
Salient Features of the CBSE Udaan Scheme
The Udaan CBSE Scholarship is focused on offering support to young girls to achieve their goal of pursuing technical education in engineering colleges in the country. Here are some salient features of the scheme:
- Thousands of qualifying girl students are offered free of cost assistance for preparing for entrance examinations to engineering colleges
- Availability of study material via an online portal. This includes reading material and learning videos
- Virtual classes at nearly 60 centers across India
- Free tablets or monetary support to buy tablets for eligible girl students
- Orientation sessions for students who are not well-versed with using technological tools
- A wide range of assignments with constructive feedback to students
- Focus on rectifying the learning process of students
- Meritorious girl students receive mentoring and peer-learning benefits
- Guidance and motivation sessions
- A students helpline service to help clarify doubts in no time
- Option available for parents to track the learning of their child
- Continuous tracking and evaluation of every child’s progress with feedback provided to parents too
- Assistance in applying to the desired engineering colleges.
Who is Eligible for the Udaan Scheme CBSE?
The Udaan CBSE Scholarship is offered to girl students provided they meet the following eligibility criteria.
- Applicants must be Indian citizens
- The student must be studying in Class 11 in either of the following institutions:
- Navodaya Schools
- Kendriya Vidyalaya
- Government Schools (recognised by the state or central government)
- Private Schools affiliated with CBSE
- The Udaan CBSE Scholarship is available only to girl students from the Science Stream with Mathematics, Chemistry, and Physics as their major subjects in Class 11.
- Class 10 score requirement:
- Minimum overall score of 70%
- Science and Mathematics score of 80%
- If the student has studied in a school that follows the CGPA system, then the minimum overall CGPA must be 8 and the GPA for Science and Mathematics must be 9
- Category reservations:
- Scheduled Caste – 15%
- Scheduled Tribes – 7.5%
- Other Backward Classes – 27%
- Public Works Department – 3%
- The annual income of the family of the applicant should not exceed ₹6 lakhs.
The Application Process for the CBSE Udaan Scheme
Eligible girl students can apply for the Udaan CBSE Scholarship via Udaan’s official website. Here are the steps:
- Register on the official website of CBSE and visit the Udaan Scheme’s page
- Go through the detailed instructions before commencing the registration process
- Fill out the application form. Make sure that you cross-check all the details entered
- On submitting the form, the portal will display a registration number. This will also be shared with you via email at your registered email address
- Upload your photograph and enter your registration number and date of birth
- Download the application and declaration form and print them out. Keep the printed copies for future reference.
- Aadhaar Card of the student
- Original proof of address of the student
- A certificate of annual income declaration of the student’s parent/guardian
- Score sheets of Class 10 and 11 as applicable
- Caste certificate if applicable.
- Bank details of the student
Fees for the CBSE Udaan Scheme
There is no notification by CBSE about the fees applicable for the CBSE Udaan Scheme.
Things to know about the CBSE Udaan Scheme
- It is a school-based type of scholarship
- Girls studying in Class 11 in the Science Stream are eligible to apply for the scheme
- The amount of scholarship or rewards is determined based on the performance of the candidate
- Boys are not eligible to apply
- There are no regional or religion-based restrictions or preferences
- Usually, the applications start from July/August every year
- Offline applications are not accepted. Students are required to complete the application process online only.
The CBSE Udaan Scheme is another initiative by the government in partnership with CBSE to allow girls to pursue their dream of becoming technical professionals. As a parent, you also need to ensure that she gets all the support and assistance in pursuing her goals. You must also think about preparing a financial net to fund her education dreams after completing engineering too.
Apart from creating a savings fund, you might also want to consider buying a life insurance policy to ensure that she can pursue her career goals without worry, even in your absence. You can choose from a wide range of Tata AIA Life Insurance Plans based on your needs.
CBSE has designed the Udaan Scheme to help girls from lower socio-economic families get the right tools and platform to prepare for a career in engineering. The Scheme helps them enrich their understanding of Mathematics and Science subjects with monetary aid to deserving candidates.