10 Proven Tips to Sleep Better at Night
10 December 2021 |
A healthy body and mind are essential for a happy being! Moreover, it is the best way to engage in a responsible social and family life. So, everything starts with good sleep at night! Therefore, it becomes important to understand what affects your sleep and what actions you need to take to ensure a comfortable sleep at night.
Here are a Few Proven Tips for a Better Night’s Sleep
- Pay attention to light exposure - Circadian rhythms refer to mental, physical, and behavioral changes responsible for a 24-hour cycle. And our biological clock regulates the circadian rhythms. It is found that these natural processes can respond to light and darkness based on exposure. The more exposed you are to bright daylight, the longer and deeper your night sleep is. Also, the longer your exposure to blue light, especially from an electronic device before sleep, the lesser the quality of night sleep!
- Have a routine workout - Exercising with a defined routine keeps your body healthy. And a healthy body is essential for good sleep. It will strengthen your muscles, burn calories, and make you feel the whole day afresh. You will start working harder and longer during the day, which positively affects your sleep quality in the long run.
- Take a short nap during the day - A short power nap is essential for your body's functions. It can enhance brain function during the daytime and help your work more responsibly. However, a long nap at undefined intervals in a day can confuse your body's internal biological clock and affect the quality of night sleep.
- Cut down on alcohol and caffeine - Caffeine has been known to provide benefits that can enhance energy to focus better. It is found to stay elevated in your blood for 6-7 hours, which means, if you take a coffee 6 hours before bed, it can affect your sleep quality. It can stimulate your nervous system and make you stay awake. On the other hand, it is believed that alcohol can drive you to a better night's sleep. However, though it can put you off to sleep, it affects the quality of sleep later. It can deteriorate your health and cause insomnia.
- Work on a sleep routine - It is important to work on a sleep routine to avoid disturbing your biological clock. With the increase in technology and lifestyle changes, people prefer sleeping late at night after a drink or movie. It will increase the stress within the body and affect the melatonin level that signals the brain to make you sleep.
- Concentrate on what you eat - What you eat before bedtime is crucial for a good quality sleep. Munching on unhealthy snacks, consuming oily foods, and eating late can affect the natural release of the human growth hormone. It is best advised that you take a light meal two hours before sleep for easy digestion and good quality sleep. Some foods to help sleep better at night include vegetable soup, salad, protein smoothies, etc. You can also ask your grandmother or mother for home remedies to sleep better at night by aiding digestion.
- Keep your mind free - Keeping your mind relaxed is essential for a healthy body and mind. It can negate negative thoughts before sleep time and put you off to sleep sooner as you reach the bed. If financial stress keeps your mind engaged, it certainly affects the quality of sleep. Therefore, it is detrimental to find what affects your mind to stay relaxed.
Thus, if you are worried about your family's future financial commitments because you suffer from a critical illness, then a life insurance policy can certainly be the best resort. There are varied features associated with a life insurance plan.
For instance, you can choose the Tata AIA Life Insurance Non-Linked Comprehensive Health Rider(UIN-110B031V02) with the Tata AIA life insurance plan, the rider# provides coverage against both major illnesses, and minor injuries or illnesses, while allowing multiple claim payouts.
- Ensure a good sleep environment - If you have been pondering how to sleep better every night, your bed and sleep environment is not maintained to the desired extent. Your body and the bedroom temperature have a definite impact on your sleep quality. Set a comfortable temperature based on the climatic changes and ensure a stable environment. Buy the best quality mattress, bed, and pillow to keep you well sheltered for a good sleep. Try to avoid doing everything else except sleeping, such as watching tv, playing a game, or having food on your bed to ensure a warm environment to put you off to sleep smoothly.
- Quit smoking - Nicotine in cigarettes is a stimulant that can cause sleep disorders such as insomnia, sleep fragmentation, sleep apnea, and snoring. Therefore, you must make an effort to quit smoking. You might experience difficulties with sleeping after you start quitting because of withdrawal syndrome. However, it will tend to vanish over time, strengthening the quality of sleep.
- Have a doctor consultation if necessary - If you are consistently getting affected and suffering from loss of sleep due to restlessness, snoring hard, gastroesophageal reflux, etc., it is better to have a doctor consultation to get treated for your sleep disorders.
Good quality sleep has several benefits that can ensure a healthy and happy mind and body. Unfortunately, with increased work pressure and lifestyle changes, you are driven to turn your biological clock in different directions, affecting sleep quality. Therefore, you must focus on the right quantum of light exposure, work on an exercise routine, keep yourself relaxed, have a healthy and light dinner, reduce alcohol and caffeine consumption and quit smoking.
You also need to focus on maintaining a good sleep environment, working on a sleep routine, or consulting a doctor if you have consistent sleep disorders over time to ensure a better night’s sleep.